Re: [T3] idleing all over the place.

On 11 May 99, at 21:30, william e. weatherford wrote:

> for some reason when i start up in the morning my '71 F.I. square doesn't
> want to turn over the first couple times i try it.

Let's take a break for a minut²«€fine some terms. Don't be
offended, you're not the only one who gets these things mixed up.

"The engine won't turn over."
This means exactly what it says: no rotation of the engine,probably
no noise from the starter. This is usually a sign of something wrong
with the starter or its associated circuitry or the battery.

"The engine turns over, but it doesn't fire."
Again this means exactly what it says: There is noise from the
starter and the engine rotates, but there is no sign of any
combustion going on. This means that the starter and battery are
fine, but that there is a lack of either spark or fuel or both.
"Cranking" and "turning over" mean the same thing.

"The engine turns over and fires occasionally, but it won't start."
This just means that you have fuel and spark, but not sufficient to
keep the engine going without the help of the starter.

Of course if the engine turns over and fires consistently and
strongly, then that IS what we call running. In other words, it
started.

So what you are saying (I believe) is that when you first try to
start your engine it turns over, but doesn't fire.

> it always starts, but it
> may take a couple trys. then it idles funnythe whole time its on, it goes
> up and down. sometimes vey high and sometimes close to killing the engine
> low.

So eventually it starts, but it doesn't run smoothly at first. The
not running smoothly may be what is called "hunting." This can be
caused either by an air leak into the intake, or by your idle
adjusted too high.  If this settles down after the engine warms up,
then it is probably just the idle set too high.

> my generator light is on... should this cause alarm?

It means that your charging system is not charging the battery. You
need to fix it or your battery will soon be dead and you will be back
here telling us that "My engine won't turn over." This time you'll be
right!

> also, the guy i bought the car off of had a bunch of parts that i also paid
> for. they all were fuel injection components. should i\mhe was aware
> of a F.I. prob, and was going to replace all of these parts?

He probably knew he had a problem of some kind and was trying to
decide which part to replace first in an attempt to fix it. It is
unlikely that most of them are needed, if any. If he actually KNEW
what the problem was there would be just one part. It is likely that
none of them are needed, but it's always nice to have spares.

> oh jim if you read this, since you live in Wisconsin, i wanted to let you
> know i'm a huge Packers fan, and just got my big "G" on the rear
> windshield. you don't think you can score me any tickets this season do
> you? i think they might be playing here in san diego, i'll cross my fingers.

I'll pass your request on to a co-worker who is the local keeper of
the GBP faith and maintainer of a bit of a shrine here. I'm sure
there are no more than 60 or 100 k people ahead of you. ;-)

Jim