RE: [T3] newbie questions, or How VW sold out to THE MAN

Can o' worms on this one. Here I go, watch my back...

VW stopped the air cooled engine, in my humble opinion, because it
wanted to make a buck. VW sold out to the man. VW started out making
econo-cars-  although incredbily function, well built ones.  Once the
visionaries at VW had died the young brass saw that there wasn't
money in the 'people's car'. So pooof, out with the same drippy boxes
that
everyone had.

I own, and have owned, almost every type of VW you'll find- I
drive a Bus to work, have a type 3 I'm sanding every day, and a
412 in my back yard trying to find a new home, and its odd-
through the progression of the different types you can chart the
conversion of VW from the people's friend to being an agent of
THE MAN.

Find a Type 4, if you can. Compared to other VWs, its a
bear to fix. Weird, one year parts you can't begin to find. Engine's
that need diagnostics and proprietary tools (as designed- it had that
nutzo tester plug. Mine uses card 18) . Expensive when new, so much so
that no
one would by a car that much from VW, the cheapo car people of
1973.

Right after it died, came the water cooled. VW had sold out.
There was still bucks in beetles, so that went on for a while,
and the Bus was such a utilitarian masterpeice that ITS continued
in one form or another, but the heart of the matter is that they wanted
a different image, an image with $$$$$.  And there was money in making a
car that you had to bring back to the shop to fix.....

Of course, just my opinion.

Beteles now aday are crazy in terms of cost.  They got popular, and
therefore expensive.  Luckily the type 3's are still cheap-  incredible
bargains, especially compared to bugs.  You can find a mint 3 for 1/4
the price of a mint same-year bug.  Notches will cost you more (the
gleaming eye of popularity has turned toward them) and square's are
getting on the 'super cool to have list'.  Fastback sáÔ¨%e the only
ones you can reliably hope to be hideously underpriced.   ( my 3
fastbacks have been $20, $50, and $50-  2 of them drivable, one almost
perfect)

The 'which one is best' debate was a fun one-  the cool part about all
of them is that they are SO utilitarian.  They all have more cargo room
than can be believed-  when I first got one I couldn't FIND the engine
for all of the cargo space (its under the floor in the back, by the way.
 Crazy.)  No matter which one you'll end up with more room and a better
ride than the beetle.  I think Type Is were just practice for the Type
3s.....

I've taken a swipe at the sacred VW pi–ata.  I'm hiding under my desk
now.  Flame on, my brothers and sisters.....
-rj