re: fuel gauges

RE: first 1/4 goes forever, last 1/4 is good for about 15 minutes

My 1988 FI Honda Accord does this too, and so do several other cars I've
driven for awhile & gotten to know their idiosyncrasies.  It's not just a VW
thing.  Either for float/variable resistor types or the variable capacitance
ones, both do it, so I've always thought it was simply attributable to extra
room on the top of the tank whether it's expansion space or filler necks or
all that combined plus my tendency, since I travel alot & hate stopping (ask
my wife), my tendency to "burp" the tank to get that last tenth of a gallon
in so I can go another 3 miles.

Mike Geurink
71 Fastback "Daisy"
She chose the name.