RE: clocks

On 9 May 99, at 20:02, Chad Montandon wrote:

> My gas gauge works fine until it hits the 1/2 mark then the needle get
> pretty wobbly.  Then somewhere in between 1/2 and 1/4 it will jump from R to
> 1/4--- back and forth back and forth until it finally gives up the fight and
> lays to rest on R.

This is a simple problem with a simple fix. There is dirt or
corrosion on the resistance wire in the sender. That wire is just a
taut U-shaped piece. Pull the sender out of the top of the tank, take
the alum sleeve off the sender and CAREFULLY polish the wire. I use a
bit of Scotchbrite to do this.

It may also be helpful to CAREFULLY slip the float contacts off the
wire and bend them very slightly so they are just a bit tighter on
the wire.

Reassemble and rejoice.

Jim