Re: [T3] T3 Rims vs T1 Rims?

Nico teWinkel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's been mentioned several times before that T1 rims have a different
> offset than T3 rims.
> So my question is: how can I tell the difference? I have 6 wheels with my
> Fasty (4 + 2 spares)... how can I be sure that they're all T3 rims?

Nico, I am not sure if I can help you, if your car has the 5-lug setup, you
should probably just look away from this, as I do not know them.
The Type 3 I have outside rides on 4,5Jx15 rims, offset is 46mm. The offset
is marked by ET 46. I have several bug rims in my garage, mostly they are
4Jx15 ET40, but there are several sizes as well. Some later bugs rode on
4,5Jx15 ET34, the optional Sports wheels were available as both 4,5Jx15 ET 34
& ET 42, and in 5,5Jx15 (I don't know ET on these).
The World champ / Marathon Bug wheels (10 spoke Lemmerz) are 4,5Jx15 ET 34. I
have a set of these on my 73. The rims  do not have part numbers stamped in
them (as most other VW parts do) so it is not easy to tell what part or for
what car they really are. L©Ìstamped in the late wheels are: size I.E.
4,5Jx15, offset I.E. ET 46, mfg. date I.E. 11/72.
These bits of info is stamped between the lug holes n the outside center of
the wheel. As mentioned, I do not know the early wheels, some others have to
fill in there.

PerL
73 Square