[T3] Clutch cable renewal

After a successful 260 mile highway run on Sunday, I fancied taking the
Squareback to work today instead of the Camper, but 100 yards up the road
the clutch suddenly got  a lot of freeplay.
I suspect the cable has begun to let go, but being RHD, the pedal cluster
is a bit of a pig to remove, so I went for the handy hatch at the front of
the tunnel, which worked on the Fastback some years ago.
But I can't get the cable eye off the hook (Bentley says 'hook the cable
eye off the clutch pedal'  - as easy as that!  But it didn't work for me.).
I figure the best alternative is to remove the pedal stop and let the pedal
fall all the way to the floor, then readjust the stop plate to get the
correct brake-pedal freeplay.  It's still easier than removing the whole
RHD pedal cluster.
Any other ideas anyone, before I do this?  (Obviously I've removed the
adjusting wing-nut).

Of course, it may turn out the problem is nastier, but I'll meet that if a
new clutch cable doesn't sort it.  It doesn't seem to be the flexible
conduit, and the operating shaft seems to be behaving as normal.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.net/