Re: [T3] stripped AT filler tube mount?

On 2 May 99, at 11:28, Greg Merritt wrote:

> 	Well, it appears as though that bad boy is STRIPPED.
>
> 	It looks like it would be quite a bear to do a proper tap job on
> that hole while the tranny is in the car.  There's just a single bolt to
> hold down the filler, not two like on the oil filler.  Also, I fear metal
> shavings due to tapping getting into the AT.  Yuck.

I THINK the seal here is an O-ring, and the single M6 x 22 bolt and
spring washer is just there to hold the filler pipe in place. You may
just need a new O-ring to keep it from leaking. When you take the
filler tube out, make sure it is clean and smooth where it must seal.

> 	Any wisdom, anyone?  Why would this have happened in the first
> place?  A careless engine pull where somebody tried to remove the AT filler
> tube along with the engine?

I suspect that the M6 hole is a blind hole, so that lessens your
problems. You could try a  1/4-28 bolt as a temp fix until the day
that you need to remove your engine again and can get to it to put a
helicoil (if there's room for a Helicoil!) in there.

Check the bolt. Make sure it is an M6 x 22. If it is shorter you may
have uncovered a rebuilt transmission where someone used the wrong
bolt in that hole. A 22mm bolt might find plenty of good thread down
there.

Jim