[Fwd: Re: [T3] Motor mounts]

--- Begin Message ---
Ryan and Tonya Osborne wrote:

> I need help from you "dark siders" out there.
>
> Because of a very bad pan on our 65 notch it was removed and replaced with
> the  good pan from a 72 auto square. The problem is hanging the motor.  On
> the factory 65 the swing axle held the motor and the rear torsion mount
> helped.  With out the swing axle, the cross bar type (late) mount must be
> used.  The problem is that the fresh air intake drains run through the part
> of ther body that would except the brackets for the hanging motor mounts.  I
> am assuming that late notches either used a different mounting system or a
> diferent drain.

Ryan

I have done this on my 65 Notch. The way I solved the problem was to
chisel off a couple of the newer style motor mounts from a 70 something
burnt fastback and reweld them to the sides of the fresh air intakes.
You will have to shorten the bar about 1.5 inches on each side and
redrill the holes for the bolts that mount the bar to the engine mounts.
To make things easy I took an old engine block and mounted it to the
transmission and used it as a template to get the proper measurements to
weld in the hangers. The only problem you will have is if you use a
stock exhaust you will have to redo the elbows that run from the fan
housing to the heat exchangers. By shortening the bar there is not
enough clearance to install the stock elbows. Hope this helps

Dana Hall
65 Notch Sunroof
77 Beetle
78 Bus