[T3] Restoring a Fastback

Hello all.  I've been lurking on this list for a few months, but am now
finally getting around to doing the project I signed up for.  Here's a
lengthy, but slightly funny story.  My dad has a '67 Fastback with 40K miles
sitting in my grandmother's garage.  In the early 70's, it gave my mother (in
particular) all kinds of trouble, so my dad parked it in the garage and just
left it for 10+yrs.  When I was a teenager in 1981, we kicked around the idea
of letting me drive it for school.  We worked on it a little while, got it
started and running.  NotÞ‘ýf tires were awfully low on air, went to
parent's to get tire guage.  Both of us went inside for some unknown reason,
left it running (hadn't started in 10 years, why kill it now and not have it
restart).  Come back outside less than 1 minute later, car's gone.  Stolen,
Abducted, Robbed.  Hasn't run in years, but it's taken.  Must be really
desperate thieves.  Here's the humorous part.

Get a phone call three weeks later "How much do you want for the Fastback? I'm
a VW collector"  Ask where is car and how did you find it?  It's parked
halfway down 12 mile long, no exit, Interstate bridge west of New Orleans
(where I live, found us through license check).  Go out on bridge, find car,
tow it back to grandma's.  Ironic in the 6 mile walk the thieves had back to
civilization. :)  Thieves burn up pistons on Interstate.  Father takes motor
out of body, changes pistons and stops.  (Another long story) Car sits from
1981-present.

Now here's the question.  Are there any things in particular I should check
out before trying to restore this Fastback with checkered past?  Upon visual
inspection, there is no apparent rust to the body, the motor looks in decent
shape.  I think I'm  contemplating getting it running again.  Anything I
should be aware of in a Fastback that has run once in 25 years?

Thanks for listening,
Tim