RE: [T3] How to get the spark

A white or blue spark should be seen.  Yellow to orange means low coil
energy and you should replace it.  The clicking sound you hear is the spark
bridging the air gap...a normal sound.  There's no need to test for spark at
the plug end.

How old are the spark plug wires?  Have you measured their resistance?  Is
the distributor cap clean?  I've seen my cap 'leak' spark energy from the #2
plug hole (under the boot), across the cap, across a fuel line that was
touching the cap, and dB8 on the fuel pump.  Scary!  Run the engine at
night when it's *dark* and look for any glowing of the plug wires or around
the distributor.  You should see NO light -- anything that glows (generally
a dim, bluish light) indicates insulation failure and must be replaced.

To check the wires for proper insulation bend them.  If you see any cracks
in the insulation then you have the potential for an electrical leak and
should replace the wire.

On cause of burned points is a coil with no resistor.  Bosch coils for our
cars have an internal one.  If it should go bad (?) it may allow an
over-voltage and stress the points.  It is possible that you just have a set
of bad points.

Just some thoughts,
   Toby Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, R.I.P., ORPCA member
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.pobox.com/~toby_erkson/