RE: [T3] ATF change

	> changed my ATF today and got a bit of a surprise: the pan was full
of bits
*	of metal.

>>>Not only is tm€Ëgood, this is in fact *all bad*.  I'm going to make
a prediction here, somewhat like Nostradamus; you're going to begin
experiencing a marked lack of performance.  Your transmission is going to
begin slipping, and you're going to develop a hi-revving condition between
gears, as the transmission 'hunts' for the next gear.  Finally, you're going
to experience shifting the car into reverse and drive, and waiting as the
transmission tries to build up enough friction to clunk into gear.

Here's why:  as strange as it sounds, that metal crap that was in your
transmission is the remnants of your bands; the clutches that give your
transmission 'grip.'  While it was still in suspension, your transmission
was able to continue to ecru *some* friction, due to the particulate matter
still in the fluid.  Now, without that matter in the fluid, you're going to
have nice, shiny copper and brass bits of metal rubbing against one another,
attempting to behave like clutches.

You've really only got two choices here; that's replace the fluid that you
drained out (put the chunky-salsa version of your ATF back in), or go and
find yourself a VW transmission shop *today.*  You're not going to get 500
miles out of your transmission, and you *absolutely* should not go on any
trips till you get that replaced.

Sorry for the bad news lad, but my best friend growing up owned a
transmission shop, and I wound up doing a $1900 rebuild on a 1959 Pontiac,
as I got rid of the contaminated ATF.