Re: [T3] late model rust

I was talking with a friend who has a body shop about vinyl and paint
protection. (this may have been covered before but I'll pass it on anyway)

According to him it is the silicone in the products that will really do the
damage. Silicone breaks down and oxidizes when exposed to UV rays. When you
use a wax or vinyl protection product with silicone the silicone will
penetrate the vinyl or paint and as itdown it will damage the paint
or vinyl as well.

I had a little bit of oxidation on my notch and he gave me a bottle of
Meguir's Mirror Glaze to clean it up, did a great job. He said the Meguir's
does not contain silicone and therefore would not contribute to the
oxidation problem.

The only product he recommends for dash/vinyl is Son of a Gun, again no
silicone. I just picked up a bottle today, I'll let you know how it seems
to do. I'm hoping it will do a good job of cleaning as well as protecting.

I have the original dash and it does not have a single crack, so I am quite
concerned about protecting it. I've heard that some products will actually
damage the vinyl over time. Right now my only protection is a piece of
canvas cut to fit over the dash, I put it in place when I'm not driving.

Bill
Keep on Ruckin'