Re: [T3] Fuel Sending Unit...

You're not hallucinating, I remember seeing it on an old wreck.
Didn't pay attention to the year or anything, I was looking for some
other parts, tank clips and bolts, I think.  Thought it was kind of
interesting at the time, but I'd repaired my old sender, so had little
interest in another.  Like you say, 6 bolts ought to be a good enough
ground to the tank.  When I repainted my tank, I was worried more
about the tank to body ground.  Apparently the hold-down clips cut
through the paint and made a good enough ground, but I kind of worried
about that.  I'm surprised that VW didn't spot-weld a ground strap on
the tank.