[T3] Still quite new to this

After messing with my 1969 1500 single carb stock notchback over the last
week, I have a f÷/¦ore questions for the list; Does checking valve
clearances on a type 3 require the engine out or is there a simpler method?
and could anybody give an estimate of the time it takes to remove the
engine and all accesories in order to get at the valves?
Also, those of you with shiny smooth cars, almost every panel on my
notchback is pitted/dented/lumpy. Could you please outline your methods for
making a smooth panel from a thirty year old panel showing signs of abuse?
What bodywork is involved? Should a novice tackle this? My car is rust-frei
but old.

Thanks all.

Charlie