[T3] newbie

I'm new to this. I've always been modestly interested in some type of  vw
but I recentcross a '71 squareback. Now I'm in love with this car. I
have no experience working on vw's, but I do try to do some
car repairs myself.

My questions are:  (assuming I buy a car that has been at least partially
restored and is running)
How possible is it for someone with no experience to learn to work on one of
these?
Can they be reliable enough to be used as daily transportation?
Are parts real hard to find or expensive?

Any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,

Wesley Collins