Re: [T3] Brake calipers

On 7 Mar 99, at 17:56, Per Lindgren wrote:

> Jim Adney wrote:
>
> > T1 Ghias originally came with unique calipers that used only 1
> > retaining pin, but the replacement calipers are the same as the early
> > t3s, using the early t3 pad, but they have only a 40mm piston.
>
> The beetles came with two different styles of calipers, dint know the years,
> though. The GIRLING was with only one retaining pin, while the ATE (teves) came
> with two pins. I've once pulled a set of Girlings from a '73 Super, and I've seen
> them on a '68 Bug as well, but I have seen ATEs on another '68 bug, and my
> brother had them on his '71 Super.

I had to go back and check the type 1 BentleŚp£ś, and I find that
my memory has once again betrayed me. I find that the type 1 Ghia
(and, I assume the European Beetles that got disk brakes) used 3
different calipers over the years.

Up through 71 they got an ATe (Alfred Teves) single pin/single
bleeder valve caliper; the replacements for these early calipers are
like the early type 3 calipers and have 2 pins. For 72-3 they got a
larger 2 pin/2 bleeder valve ATe caliper, and for 74- they got the
single pin Girling caliper. However, the single pin in the Girling
caliper is U-shaped, so it mimics 2 pins.

The type 1 ATe calipers all have 40mm bores, while the Girlings came
with 40.40mm (1-19/32" GACK!)

I have one of the OE single pin Ghia calipers on my shelf, rebuilt,
if someone needs it.

Jim