[T3] Mechanical fuel pump questions

Hey volks, I'm having some trouble with a mechanical fuel pump.  It's on a
'73 engine, and the pump is not working when it is installed.  We can get it
to pump by moving the pump manually, and the pushrod is moving correctly
when the engine turns over.  The fuel pump pushrod is 103MM long, is this
right?  Also, what about the spacer under the pump, is there any difference
between type I and type III?  What about the pump itself, is there anything
I should look for?  It's a new Brazilian pump (probably type I?), and works
correctly when moved by hand, it just doesn't want to play when it's
installed on the engine.R$r¯see a faint wear mark on the pump, like the
pushrod is touching it, but maybe not enough.  Any ideas?

Jake "gimme a nice electric fuel pump any day" Kooser