Re: [T3] Rear wheel bearings?

On 5 Mar 99, at 21:11, Diane & Dave Burden wrote:

> But, I decided to check the rear wheel bearings by seeing if there was any
> wobble in the wheels.  I jacked the rear end, out of gear, brake off and
> both rear wheels wobbled a little grabbing the top and bottom.  But,
> grabbing them front to back, no movement at all.  I torqued down the hub
> éNin, just to be safe, but the up/down wobble stayed.  When I've
> found a loose hub nut before, the wheel would wobble in all directions.

I agree that the clunking is probably a CV joint.

I don't think I have ever noticed this wobble, but I agree that it is
puzzling. I wonder if it is possible that the bearing housing has
developed some extra vertical looseness over a long life due to the
fact that most of the stress on it is in the vertical direction. This
is the only thing I can think of, but it seems so unlikely since we
must be so far from the plastic flow range on these parts.

I would not be too concerned, but are both sides the same?

Jim