RE: [T3] problem downshifting

I've numbered Doug's steps below.  At step 2, after you release the clutch,
you must also give the accelerator pedal a tap to bring up the engine rpm.
Ideally, you want to bring up the rpm so after you perform step 4 the engine
will already be turning at that rpm.  This takes a good amount of practice
but can be done.  It will also keep the vehicle from suddenly slowing down
when you downshift, like if you downshift to engine-brake.

Here's an example.  The numbers are for illustration only and don't
represent actual figures.

Simple downshifting:
Gear   RPM(foot off clutch)
---------------------------
3rd    3000
shift from 3rd gear to 2nd gear
2nd    3500
your body lurches forward due to deceleration

Double-clutch downshifting:
Gear   RPM(foot off clutch)
---------------------------
3rd    3000
shift to neutral, rpm drops
 --    2100
tap gas pedal
 --    3800
shift to 2nd gear
2nd    3500

When performing this maneuver 1) your hand never leaves the shifter, and; 2)
your foot never leaves the clutch pedal nor the gas pedal.  This is when a
tachometer is helpful but a well-tuned ear is just as good.
   Toby Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, R.I.P., ORPCA member
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.pobox.com/~toby_erkson/

èRelease the clutch pedal (equalizes transmission main shaft
> speed with the speed of the flywheel, right?).

Close.  You want to quickly step on the gas to bring up engine rpm.