RE: [T3] problem downshifting

It definitely sounds like one of your synchro rings is worn, causing the
sloppy downshifting.  In the mean time you could always just
"double-clutch" it...

When in 3rd, depress the clutch pedal and put the stick in neutral.
Release the clutch pedal (equalizes transmission main shaft speed with the
speed of the flywheel, right?).
Depress the clutch pedal again and shift to 2nd (should be smooth).
Release the clutch pedal.

Try that!
-Doug
69 auto FI square (sold!)