Re: Insulation questions

BillN: I've reinsulated most every panel in my Ghia, and a couple of
fellow VW clubbers have told me it's the quietest VW they've ever ridden
in. I used the foil-backed cotton-rag stuff from JC Whitney, which is
cheap, light, easy to work with and -- important in AZ -- reflects some
heat. I glued it to the inside of the doors, no problem with rollup
clearance, under all carpets except the front wheel wells, the front and
rear compartments (two thicknesses between the engine and the interior,
one on each side of the panel), and between the headliner and the roof.

Dynamat and similar are very expensive, very heavy and very effective
at controlling panel sound, but not heat or sound from outside, imho.

Fiberglass batting would be a big, messy, ineffective mistake, since it
holds water.

Urea foam insulation traps water, too, and applies it directly to the
metal it's stuck to. It's also acidic, speeding up the rust process. I
have a motor home insulated with this stuff by the PO some years ago,
and believe me I have a lot of rust repair to do in the most
inconvenient places.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 343