RE: [T3] questions for all

My comments below.
   Toby Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, R.I.P., ORPCA member
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.pobox.com/~toby_erkson/

This generally gets all confusing because people say one thing but mean
another, so...
	Electronic points:  They rep‚ċ˜ mechanical points and remove
the need for a condenser.  Never have to be adjusted and they don't
experience point float at high rpm (>5000, for those of us who feel
speed-of-light travel is just too slow ;)  Overall, they are superior
compared to mechanical points.  Bad side:  If, somehow, they get fried then
you are totally immobile...but that's why you always carry a spare set of
mechanical points, right?  Pertronix or Compufire are the name brands and
having used both in my cars I can say neither one is better than the other.
Five years and all kinds of daily driving conditions and I still have my
original Pertronix in my Squareback.

	Electronic ignition:  Compufire or Mallory are the main name brands.
Crane and Allison (Accel as well?), too.  Use high voltage coils and/or
multiple-sparks (capacitive discharge) to improve ignition.  Best observable
results in above-stock-compression engines and unnaturally aspirated engines
that use turbos or superchargers.  Spark gap can be enlarged.  Just about
everyone who's used one doesn't go back to stock.

	Computerized ignition:  Jacobs Electronics is the only brand name
I'm familiar with in this category.  Superior to electronic ignitions and
will work in any engine.  Each cylinder gets a custom spark, varying in
power and duration, according to the needs of the cylinder.  Will send a
spark to the cylinder in the event of a misfire.  Spark gap should be
enlarged.  No need for multi-point or split plugs.  I use this in my
Squareback and have had nothing but positive results.

	Electronic distributor:  Again, Compufire and Mallory are the main
brands (I keep thinking there's another, anyone?).  The ones I know of are
electronic ignition with a coil per cylinder.  The "distributor" is now a
sensor on the crank and, when triggered every 180 degrees, a pair of the
coils will fire.  I keep reading that they are recommended for racing
engines and not too desirable on street or daily driver cars.  Definitely
will have difficulties installing one on a T3 because of t6eġulley our
engines use.  Some use the flywheel but that involves more work.