[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

Re: [T3] Pressure in water bottle.....




Dave Hall wrote:

> As you say, Per, there are so many different models around.  Looking at my
> info, it should read "From '71-on....", ie Aug '70.
>
> A check in the Parts book gives 361-955-979 for the Variant washer bottle
> valve, from Aug 67 to July 70 for reduced air capacity bottles (M62 and
> M617), and from Aug '70 for all models (361-368), and 311 955 979B for the
> Fastback/Notchback models (311 - 318).
>
> My '71 Variant 1600A, and another two built on successive days, all have
> the red caps, and the 56 psi sticker on the mounting panel.  They are
> perfectly normal Variants with double-joint axles (940kg rear axle load),
> not the ones strengthened for goods carriage.

My '73 Variant 1600L have a black cap and the 42 psi sticker. It also has the
double-joint axles and 940kg load. The II have a 1030kg rear axle load.

>
> Rear tyre pressures for the Variant I are 37 psi for radials when fully
> loaded, which is why the valve in the water bottle has a higher cut-off
> pressure (when no more air is taken from the spare) to leave enough air in
> it for an emergency.  The pressure for the Sedan (Fastback/Notchback) is
> given as 27 psi fully laden.
>
> The Variant II has a full-load rear tyre pressure of 45 psi.

This is the same figures as in my owners manual.

>  I don't know
> if it requires an even higher rated cut-off valve for its washer.  Perhaps
> that is the reason for the reduced air-volume washer bottle).  I don't know
> if any Variant IIs were imported to the UK, as fleet operators chose
> cheaper British cars.
>
> As far as the larger brake calipers are concerned, do you mean the 4-pot
> calipers common in Sweden from '72, or the 411-size used from Aug 71?  If
> the latter, it's useful to know that Volve 240 rear pads fit, as they are
> not the easiest to find.
> We had a lot of fun a few months ago on the 4-pot thread, and how to bleed
> the 6 nipples on each caliper…ÜýŠ, the 4-pots, I ordered a set of pads for my car once, I must say I felt
quite smart when I found out they were too large to fit. The small pads and
calipers are the same as the 411/412, while the 4-pot calipers are also found
on the front end of the K-70. I also seem to remember that the II models had a
larger master cylinder, and different brake lines. A VW catalogue I have, from
Sweden's Custom&Speedparts, everywhere where the 71-up Type 3 brakes are
described, the footnote says "Not 72-73 Variant." I discussed this with a
"veteran" at the local dealers parts counter (he picked up a new Square late
69, he told me) Anyway, he mentioned that he never heard of a '73 Variant with
the "smaller" front calipers and pads. Maybe the reason is because mine is a
"L" model, not the regular hauler. I dunno.

PerL
'73 Square
'68 Bug
'88 Vanagon Syncro

-------------------------------------------------------------------
List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list or mailto:help@vwtype3.org


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]