Re: decklid badge

My previous message about the script on my 'Ï3?uonfusing, so I'll clear it
up a little:  I know about the "Variant" name, and how it wasn't used on U.S.
models, but my '66 is an export model and has nothing on the rear decklid.  I
was wondering if that was because VW didn't know what the U.S. designation was
going to be as of late 1965 (meaning VW1600, or just Volkswagen and the little
chrome strip like the later '66 and '67 models)  I believe '68 and some '69
models had this strip too if they had a manual tranny, but of course they had
the newer script.   Can anyone shed some light on my strange question?  Thanks
Yancy Everhart
'66 square - 2nd owner
'66 beetle sunroof