Re: [T3] Oil light on. Last send was a mistake.

On 29 Jun 99, at 16:32, oofacts@earthlink.net wrote:

> So my oil light has been flickering at idle lately. It's been hot here.
> Heat index of about 100.
> I just want to check that I'm not forgetting anything when I try to solve
> this prob this weekend.
> Been using Quaker State SAE 30 lately because my UnFLAPS decided not to
> carry Castrol anymore.

Nothing wrong with QS. One thing you might want to check is the large
rubber intake air bellows. If this is torn or poorly fitted (check
the underside) then hot air from around the exhaust will be pulled in
with the cooling air and this will help the engine run warmer. How
warm depends on how big the hole is.

> Probably not it, but would a hot generator have any effect on the oil
> light? No, right?

Right, no.

> Given my lack of H¬\Ôxhaust yet, would it be a decent preventative
> measure to use SAE-40? What if the temperatures even out again and I'm back
> to 70 degree mornings when I start the car. Will straight 40 be too heavy?

Straight 40 is not too heavy for 100F, but keep in mind that it will
not let your engine run any cooler.

> Muir suggests checking the pressure relief valve. Now, the oil light
> flickers on at idle. And if I push the throttle a bit, it goes out. What
> are the odds of a stuck Pressure relief valve?

I have never seen a stuck relief valve, but I believe that they can
occur.

> Are there any places I might not know of that could be blocked passages for
> cooling air? (Outside of my soda cans.)

Probably not the problem.

> Any suggestions would be welcome. This is all very frustrating. Thanks.

I suspect a problem with the carbs or timing. Or it is actually NOT
too hot, you just don't have any baseline to judge it from.

Jim