Re: [T3] Ignition switch removal

I do not know what does it is called between
> the ignition switch. I tried to remove it behind the steering wheel, I
> couldn't, It budge. What is the right way to remove it?  It is a small
white
> plastic hexagon right behind the ignition switch.

This is *really* fun to do...

Per my experience just recently with a '71, you basically need to strip the
entire steering column.  Everything, I mean everything, will need to come
off from that column (well, only the end the driver touches).

You basically need to remove the black metal housing which sits around the
steering column.  This is the same housing that bolts to the dash.  Once you
have it out, then you can pull the keyed part of the ignition switch.

Now that you have fully disassembled everything, you can fish this little
wire and plastic electrical part of the metal housing.

My part fits this description:
A cylinder about 3/4" (2cm) high 1" (2.54 cm) in diameter.  There were about
5 wires connected to the back.  These wires were about 4" (10cm) in length
and ended in spade connectors.

Please verify that this is what you are dealing with since you have a '73.

I found that an ignition switch (electrical) from a '71 Beetle worked fine.
I had to solder on the old wires (and LENGTHEN them by about 1/4"
(5mm)--please do so to avoid unnecessary, uh, frustration) into place to
replace the bug wire harness.

Worked like a charm.

Good luck,

Steve