Re: [T3] Air in fuel lines

On 28 Jun 99, at 14:56, Nico teWinkel wrote:

> I think Jim mentioned a few weeks ago that air can be purged from the fuel
> lines by shorting out some special connections on the fuel pump relay and
> thereby running the pump for more than the limited 1.5 seconds.
> One of the books I have says that shorting out the wrong connectors can hurt
> the ECU.

Find the pump relay. There is a plastic plug on it that connects to 2
pins; if you leave that plug alone you can't hurt the ECU.

There are 3 other pins on that relay of which 2 are the same
connection. What you need to do is short any 2 of those together
except for the 2 that are already the same (because that would
accomplish nothing.) Just short 2 pins together. If nothing happens
then you picked the common 2; in that case just short any other pair
together. Use a short piece of insulated wire with insulated
alligator clips ĪBiMend to do this.

When you pick a good pair there will be a small spark and you will
hear the pump start to run. This will clear all the air out of the
lines (except for the air that is actually in the injectors) in less
than a minute. If you listen closely you will even hear that air
bubbling up in the tank; when the bubbling stops completely you are
done. Running the engine for the same amount of time accomplishes the
same thing.

The time it takes to flush the fuel ring is a good time to walk
around eveything and check for leaks.

Jim