RE: Oil Cooler: Type 3 Engine

On 28 Jun 99, at 14:37, Erkson, Toby wrote:

> On thought #1, please define "our pressures" and "most engines".  Are you
> speaking 'T3 engine vs. all other air-cooled VW engines' or are you speaking
> 'all air-cooled engines vs. other water-cooled engines of the same era'?

Sorry. "Other engines" meant American V-8s, etc, where 60 psi is
routine.

> Interesting info about the oil pressure, both the hydrodynamics and pressure
> sensor location.  I thought that the pressure sensor for the T3, from my
> reading of the flow diagrams in the manuals, was directly before the input
> side of the oil cooler.  If this is true, it wouldn't matter if the sensor
> was placed there (in the stock location) or on the side of the case, right?
> If you are correct, then wouldn't it be more accurate to place the pressure
> sensor in the galley along the side of the case?

I am going from admittedly poor, and rapidly growing older, memory. I
may be wrong. I think the type 1 pickoff point is closer to the pump.
There will be some pressure drop even between these 2 points,
especially with heavy oil.

Jim