Re: Oil Cooler: Type 3 Engine

On 27 Jun 99, at 3:18, Per Lindgren wrote:

> Jim Adney wrote:

> > > My 73 had spacers under the cooler, it was the original engine when I
> > > pulled it apart. I cant remember which rubber gaskets I put in, I
> > > suspect it was the 10 mm.
> >
> > 10mm seals won't even begin to seal if you have spacers under there.
> > Here's what you need to do: look at the part of the cooler that you can
> > see; the late one (10mm holes) has a part number stamped there, the
> > early one (8mm holes) does not. If the case is a single oil pressure
> > relief valve case it is 8mm, if it is a dual RV case it is 10 mm. For
> > some reason, the correct 10mm seals often do not come in the gasket sets
> > that we get. The 10mm seals are a 021 VW number.
>
> Well, as I said, I had the dual relief case from starters, its a 73. I had
> to purchase a new engine case when rebuild time was around, the case I had
> needed line boring of the crank bearings, and it didnt fit my time
> schedule. I had to get a new case, and my VW shop got me a new OEM Brazil
> T1/2/3 case ($500!! who said VWs were cheap fun?). This was also dual
> relief, of course. The case p/n according to their catalogue is 043 101
> 025 D, it is the AS 21 case with 12 mm oil galleys and case savers. I also
> used seals from the regular gasket kit. It all works fine, so I cannot
> understand where the problem should be.

Probably a nice case, but I never heard of ANY case with 12mm holes.
Are you sure? They should be 10mm from your description of everything
else. Does can you see a VW part # stamped (large numbers) on the
exposed part of the cooler (next to the oil pressure sensor.)

> Btw, it is a PITA to replace the oil cooler with the engine in the car.

Agreed. But you don't have to do any of that to look for the number.

Jim