Re: [T3] Front/Rear Main Seal Leakage?

Chris Swaffor wrote:

"so how hard is it to replace the rear main seal in an engine."

it can be easy, though not usually.

"I heard you actually have to partially split the case"

No.  But go slow, and be careful not to gouge the case.  One trick I've
used is to take a hack saw blade and saw through the metal band that is
just inside the rubber on the o4´*Qg.  Once you've gotten past the
ring, it relieves the pressure, allowing it to come out easily.  But
again, be careful.  You don't want to saw through the ruber and into the
case.

"I have a good engine sitting in my garage with this problem."

Hmm.  I wonder about the "good engine" designation.  What caused the
seal to go bad.  High mileage?  If so, there is reason to question the
goodness of the engine.  Or, the front seal will go bad if it's not
getting any lubrication.  I seem to recall that there'a a weep hole that
feeds oil to the seal, to keep it lubricated.  If that's plugged, the
the lip of the seal will become dry and brittle and go away.

Eric Forsman
Baltimore, MD