[T3] Front/Rear Main Seal Leakage?

I'm a firm believer in the FIF (Front Is Front) rule of thumb for
talking about cars.  So, I say FRONT main seal, •i&he non-VW
convention is to refer to the seal around the flywheel end of the engine
as the "rear" main seal, since most of them have got their engines in
their cars at the wrong end and backwards (if not sideways!).  :  )

Anyway, more to the point, inspect the lip of the seal for wear, and
feel it to make sure it is still supple.  If you can see wear, or if it
is stiff, replace it.  You might just replace it anyway, as long as the
engine is out of the car.  If it goes bad later, you'll be glad you did.

BTW, did you have oil coming out of the bell housing before you took the
engine out of the car?

Eric Forsman
Baltimore, MD