Re: [T3]

On 21 Jun 99, at 22:27, Roby Ballard wrote:

> I was told the following:
>
>         1.  There is nothing unique about the type III fuel pump
> (mechanical), in other words same as bug

While there were special pumps made for the type 3, I believe you can
use a standard beetle pump.

>         2.  The nylon push rod tubes ( with outer spring ) are to be
> considered for emergency repairs only.

Others will disagree, but I agree with this.

>     Do any of you know if there is anything special about the type 3 fuel
> pump?  Also, I've used these pushrod tubes before with no problem, but I'm
> concerned with what I found out today. What are the recommended replacement
> tu¢Qhe list (Toby, Jim?)?

Use the std steel PR tubes. These are readily available from places
that service air cooled VWs. I think the last time I bought them they
were $0.50 @, probably $1 by now.

>     Also, here's a good one.  called the local VW dealer to inquire about
> the availability of factory tubes.  the "parts" guy on the phone asked "what
> are pushrod tubes?"  No kidding!  Where is the heritage going?

Most dealers have little interest in serving their older cars. Don't
expect them to know much about anything that is no longer under
warrantee.

Jim