Re: [T3] Strange brakes...

At 06:07 PM 6/15/99 +0200, you wrote:

>Hello all!
>
>I have a brake problem on my 1964 Notch. Some days ago I noticed that
>the right rear wheel was a bit hot. I jacked up the car and the right
>rear wheel could be turned by hand, but only with great difficulty.
>Conclusion: the brake rubbed..................

>Henrik Larsson, Sweden
>1964 1500S Notchback

Hi Henrik,This may be a long shot but....

I had a similar problem on my beetle once.. The brake seemed to be dragging and smelled hot. When I touched the brake drum, my finger was sizzeled.

I backed off the brake adjustment and it stopped dragging. (this was in the middle of a 300 mile trip) As I approached a toll booth...the car stopped with a squeal on its own account. Luckily no one slammed into the back of my car as I had not applied the brakes, so no brake warning lights showed. Pulled the car over , brake drums real hot, backed off adjustment again. This happened a couple more times when finally I took off the front drums(they were the ones dragging) to see what the heck the problem was. It turns out that the lining on the brake shoes had delaminated itself from the shoe and was slinging around in the drum occasionally jamming up the brakes. So (don't try this at home), in a desperate measure, I removed the frœ¸„‚s so they wouldn't trash my drums, and put a spare oil pressure sending unit into the front brake outlet on the master cylinder then drove home WAY cautiously with just the rear brakes.

I guess this would not be a problem with disks but it could happen on the rear of the T3...

Sorry about being so long winded.
Allan Bonedaddy Erush

Skeletons In My Closet Productions                                        http://home.att.net/~allistair   (website)

         Grisly Gothic Gables