Re: [T3] DIstributor #'s & TDC

On 12 Jun 99, at 14:00, Jaime Gurrola wrote:

> Here is an amendement to my earlier message "Top Dead Center":
> I looked carefully again this morning and realized that the slot in the
> distributor hole is oriented in the RR (SE to NW) position with the
> smaller lobe facing the driver's side of the engine.  This does not seem
> to correlate with the Bentley but does with what Jim wrote in his
> reply.   I went ahead an installed the type3 distributor with the rotor
> now aimed at SE for #1 TDC.  This is 90 degrees from where the other
> distributor was and 180 degrees from what it should be if the Bentley is
> correct.

The Bentley is correct. If I understand you correctly, it sounds like
the drive gear is installed 180 off in your engine, but that the
drive lug on the dist is also rotated 180. These 2 changes offset
each other and cancel out.

Here's how to check to see if your type 3 dist is assembled
carrectly: Hold the dist upright in your hands with the cap removed.
turn the rotor until the drive lug is oriented straight L-R, offset
toward your body. The rotor should now be pointed ahead and to your
right.

Jim