[T3] Antenna

So let me get this straight about the clamp nut on the antenna: is it
spposed to move freely over threads, or is it set up in some way so that it
just operates the clamp. Is left loose and right tight? It appears that when
this bonehead painted my car he made some sort of an attempt to get the
antenna off and in the process twisted up the rim of the fender at the cut
for the antenna. The edge of the hole is all bent out of shape, hence the
base of the antenna doesnt sit properly. I got the antenna OUT but couldnt
figure out how the nut held to the base, because it damn sure wasnt moving.
After some internal cussing, I managed to fit it so it wouldnt move and RTV
around the base, but the whole procedure was so messed up that I sincerely
doubt that the parts wwere operating properly. How the hell am I supposed to
turn this nut and make the clamp work right? And how the hell am I supposed
to get this hole in the fender back into proper shoape. Another simple job
COMPLETELY made too difficult... Thank god lubing the front end was easy or
else I would have jumped into the harbor.

Mike
72 Sqbk, Brooklyn