[T3] thermodynamics and the combustion chamber

All this talk about polishing got my mind thinking of speed, of
course...

Anyway, it has been found that in a port and polish of the heads, that
polishing the intake ports actually detracts from performance.  The
reason is theÃðJŠication and atomization of the fuel is better
achieved with a slightly rough surface.  On the other hand, the exhaust
port needs to be 'baby butt' smooth, as that helps with the exhaust
scavenging that the system needs.  Remember, on a high hp engine, most
run extractor exhaust and scavenging can be a problem.

I have seen hp results on a 2.0L engine that had a port, then a port and
polish on the same heads.  The gain of 15 hp with the port and no polish
is nothing to be scoffed at, and the added benefit is it costs less to
port and not polish!

Vader
64 Menace