From: Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: type3@vwtype3.org <type3@vwtype3.org>
Date: ŽŒ’ ŽŽ 11 ŽŒÝŽ 1999 07:48
Subject: Re: [T3] Spare Tire cusion wanted

On 10 Jun 99, at 7:46, Forsman/Harris wrote:

> Bryan wrote:
>
> "Has any one ever seen the foam cusion things that goes between the tire
> and metal on our T-3s?   Does anyone have one they would like to get rid
> of? What could I expect to pay for one?"
>
> I have one of these, from a '69, if I'm not misremembering.  Does anyone
> know if there are year to year variations?  Did all years get these?

I think they were introduced in 68; I remember being told by my
salesman that it was designed to absorb the same amount of energy
that a front engine would have. I still think that was just BS. I
know that 69 got them, but they disappeared with the new body style
in 70 since there is no longer anywhere to put them.

BTW, they were originally glued inside the nose of the car, but that
glue didn't last too many years.

> Bryan, what year is yours?  As for value, I am curious as to how the
> list will evaluate an item like this, which nobody who is not obsessive
> about these cars would really want ... or tuck away in their basement,
> for that matter.  As far as I'm concerned, wi÷DØzem like this, I'm
> not interested in its market value as a commodity.  I just want what
> I've got in it, in terms of the time and effort I put into saving junk
> like this, from getting and scrapping the rusted cars, to sorting and
> storing (& convincing my wife that it's a good use of basement space),
> to packing and mailing, with all the little steps in between.

If I had one, i'd sell it for about $15.

Jim