Re: Re: [T3] Rebuild or T4

In a message dated 6/10/99 9:35:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
type3-d-request@vwtype3.org writes:

<< Parts prices
 for T4 are x4, but T3 strength is quite adequate for 1600 >>

FYI or even For everyones I..........
I'm getting kinda tired of the "rampant" misinformation concerning type 4
motors ( re: pricing and parts availability, "work-on-ability" of the motor
). Let's take *me* for an example:

Bought a *running* 2 litre 914 motor for 300$ (u.s.)
dissambled said motor in an afternoon -- separating rods from crank etc. -
doing full inspection....."hmmmmm this just looks like a real biig type1/3
motor..."
Called Mark Stephens performance in Ca. -- got a quote for..... new heads (
recond. w/"big" valves -springs *installed* - ported and polished), new
rebushed,clearanced-lightened rods,96mm pistons and cylinders and rings, new
oil pump,78mm counterweighted crank,all new engine bearings, complete gasket
set, cylinder shims, hipo cam and gear, new lifters -- inculding shipping to
michigan 1750 $$

Let's see.....
that equates to a 2.3litre motor that's not even coming CLOSE to nearing the
physical limits of the case and not compromising reliability and also that's
kinda "on par " with type 1 stuff. PLUS -- if you can build a type 1 - 3
motor, you can build a type 4 motor.
I'm not advocating everyone switch to type4 power but I also feel that you
shouldn't look upon the t4's as expensive - ill mannered beasts. My
prediction is that you're gonna see more and more type4 power veerrry soon -
type 1,2 and 3.
D¸Ô.na start a war here ..... just tired of misinformation.

feel free to flame me in private ;)
SEEYA
Dan Zink
my65notch@aol.com
http://users.aol.com/my65notch/index.htm

65 Bug ( 2110 type1 motor )
65 Notch ( gonna be a 2300 type4 motor )
65 Kombi ( gonna be a surpise )