RE: Was [T3] Polishing? Metal Materials?

True, aluminum is great at transferring heat.  It's also lighter.  But,
strength of material is a factor.  A thin sheet of steel is much more
stronger than a thin sheet of aluminum.

My bolt-on valve covers are finned and aluminum, but they are thicker than
stock.  In terms of thickness I may be breaking even, I don't know (thin
steel or thick aluminum).

You must remember we are talking about a stock engine with a built-in
cooling system and, to echo Jim, in order to have a properly running engine
it must run at a certain temperature (operating temp); any cooler results in
a poorly operating engine (poor mileage & increased wear).  The engineers
did a great job at making a hardy engine.  Only when you start going above
stock power levels or running in *extreme* environments does heat begin to
become an issue.

   Toby Erkson
   '95 VW Jetta III GL 2.0L, P-Chipped, Jamex sport suspension
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.pobox.com/~toby_erkson/