Re: [T3] Rebuild or T4

On 9 Jun 99, at 17:51, Steve Glavas wrote:

> If you have answered this stuff before, just point me in the right
> direction.  I will be buying the "Hot rodding" and "Rebuilding Air Cooled"
> books very soon.  Any and all resources for this stuff would be very
> helpful.

Get the Bentley, too, and Gene Berg's catalog. Buy some of his info
sheets.

> I know the exhaust valves need to be of the best quality (which would
> be...?).

VW, or Gene Berg, or ATe, or TRW.

> A balanced crank shaft would be very nice, too (will that affect the FI?  I
> don't think so, but I am not sure--stock dimensions, though).

CW crank is a great idea with ANY engine.

> Case savers, as I have learned, are of ultimate importance. (are those
> needed in a T4?)  Anything specific I should know about them (16 plus one
> deep oneRαΣample)

Don't know about T4, don't see them advertised for that application.
15 +1 on our cases.

> And, of course, a full flow oil filter (any suggestions on how or where?)

See the "How to Hotrod..." book

> What is your stance on hydraulic lifters?  Yes/No? Drawbacks? Advantages?

Learn to adjust your own valves and avoid hydraulics.

> What price range should I be looking at?  (for excellent quality)

DYI for $1000, buy someone else's work for $600-3000. Parts prices
for T4 are x4, but T3 strength is quite adequate for 1600-1800 cc
engines.

> I would love to do this myself, but working and going to school prevent
> this.  My square is also my only source of groceries (the stores are
> driving, not biking distance).

For maximum flexibility, buy an old engine (still poorly running) and
rebuild it. Take your time in the building and swap engines in a
weekend.

Jim