Re: [T3] Rebuild or T4

SteveG=> Rebuild a 1600(stock, FI) or install a T4 (stock, FI).  ...
      => Longer would be preferable.

If reliability is a priority, I'd firmly suggest you go for the 1600.
It'll work better in the car, you'll have plenty of power, and it fits
right in.

=> How would I handle T4 dropped seats, rather, prevent them?

Find someone who knows how to rebuild a T4 head the VW way. Very few
know the tricks that make those seats stay put.

=> the dream stock engine.  Brand names, I need brand names!

I've never heard anyone complain about the quality they got from Gene
Berg. Complaints about prices, yes, but not quality.

=> What is your stance on hydraulic lifters?

They really quiet the engine down and eliminate valve adjustments. I'd
like to hear other opinions on performance. I understand reliability is
pretty good, but I have no direct experience there.

=> What are some GOOD companies for rebuilds

If price is not Í?C², Rimco and Gene Berg seem trustworthy. For my
money I would not go to *any* company. I want to know the guy who's
building my engine personally, and look over his shoulder while he's
doing it. *NO one* cares as much about your engine as you do.

If you need the car daily, I'd recommend finding a beater you can drive
until the Square is finished. You will be forced to compromise quality
otherwise. Think of it as part of the cost of the rebuild.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 T3KG