Re: [T3] Flaps and ducts

On 7 Jun 99, at 22:06, aedan mcghie/scotland wrote:

> What on earth are those wee flaps under each wing for? The are recÅþù
> spring loaded and open out the way from the inside of the wing.

They're really not spring loaded; just closed by gravity.

> The only thing we could guess was for drainage as there appear to be
> gutters running along the inside of the rear wing to carry away rain from
> the air intakes.

That's right, they are for drainage of water and debris.

> If they are for drainage why did VW use something like that and not just a
> drain hole?

This way any appreciable amount of stuff that wants out can force
itself out, but in general the cooling system won't draw in warm
dirty air to cool itself.

> Secondly, I noticed that the trunkings which should connect the heat
> exchangers to the tubes under the back seat aren't there. I guess they
> rusted and fell off, I have had this in Beetles.
>
> Is the trunking the same size as the Beetle or is this a special T3 part?

It's a flexible metal hose, originally covered with a fiberglass
insulating cloth wrap. It's a type 3 part only, and hard to find now.

Jim