Re: [T3] stuck heads...

On 6 Jun 99, at 2ñ_8úeven Ayres wrote:

> JasonR=> Should read cold tanked.  If hot tanked the case melts quickly.
>
> Well, as I understand it my guy uses hot solvent, and that's what we
> call it. Maybe there's a different process known this way in your
> region? My machinist is the best in AZ bar none, and has been working on
> VWs since the '50s.

My impression is that "hot tank" usually referred to a heated
solution of a strong alkali. This is great for iron and steel, but
will eat aluminum and magnesium. It also ruins the solution and
pisses off your mechanic if you should give him some stuff to clean
that has some light metal parts in it that he doesn't recognize.
There are other solutions for these metals, and some of them can be
used warm.

Jim