Rï ÚKMy head's come loose!

On 6 Jun 99, at 19:41, Steve Glavas wrote:

> About how long is "not long?"  If I keep an eye on this, is it possible I
> could keep my head on for quite a while?

It really isn't possible to give a good answer for this. Is the car
FI? If so, this makes it worse since your problem cylinder is #4 and
that is where the temp sensor is. When this cyl leaks and stops
firing then the sensor cools off and the rest of the engine runs
rich, wearing out the rings, etc.

> My driving habits are nearly nonexistant.  Luckily, I don't rely on cars to
> get around (public transit and bicycle).  My only fear is that the only time
> I do use this car is for LONG road trips, and trips to the grocery store.

Long trips are the problem. That's when it would be most likely to go
bad on you. You need to realize that these studs ALL have to be fully
tight to get a good seal. A leaky seal will cause combustion gases to
erode the cyl head and ruin it.

> There is no alternative to a full rebuild?  No way of installing a case
> saver for that one trouble spot without splitting the case?  Oof.  I don't
> really want to hear that. *sigh*

Sorry, I really don't think so. There are special studs that have
what looks like a large wood screw thread on the end; they pull out
quickly and are not worth the trouble to install so don't be tempted.
I believe you should plan to get this fixed correctly in the next 6
months.

> What precautions should I take until I finally fix the problem correctly?

Don't rely on it for any long trips.

Jim
Madison, W"‹ÄÝ, USA