[T3] Front End axial play

Moving my front left tire w/hands @12:00, I get a little axial play. Bentley
says there shouldnt be any, but I have some questions about remedying this
prob. Bentleys instructs are a little confusing.
1) Make sure wheel bearings are properly adjusted: This seems to require
some pretty elaborate tools. I just had new bearings put in a year and eight
months ago. There was no play then. Bearing maintenance is supposed to be
every 30K. Is this porocedure necessary and is there any way I can do it
w/out the special guage?

2) Check ball joint play: ok, I either have to remove the steering knuckle
or I have to have some zany lever gizmo.  - Is there any other way to do
this and if not, whats it like taking out a steering knuckle? Can I do this,
do the check and get it back in in a day (1st time)

3) If it isnt the above, then I have to tighten the lockplate, and here's
where it gets confusing: do I HAVE to replace the lockplate? Manual seems to
say so but that was when parts were around...
 What is the relation between the lockplate and the adjusting nut? Is the
plate on top of the nut, under the nut? How does the lockplate operate? Why
does it say to tighten the adjusting bolt, then remove it?

3A)In step 5 of this procedure, it says to tighten the adjusting bolt to
where you can barely move the lockplate with your fingers. And yet in step 6
it says to secure the bolt with the lockplate. Which is securing what, and
How?

4) Step 7 says to again check the axial play. But it doesnt say what to do
if there still IS play.

Finally, if I really DO need new lockplates, anyone have some to sell me?

Mike
72 Sqbk, manual trans.
1600cc, dual Weber ICT 34s