[T3] Flaps and ducts

I was poking around under the back of my fastback this evening and noticed
two things.

What on earth are those wee flaps under each wing for? The are rectanglar,
spring loaded and open out the way from the inside of the wing.

The only thing we could guess was for drainage as there appear to be
gutters running along the inside of the rear wing to carry away rain from
the air intakes.

If they are for drainage why did VW use something like that and not just a
drain hole?

Secondly, I noticed that the trunkings which should connect the heat
exchangers to the tubes under the back seat aren't there. I guess they
rusted and fell off, I have had this in Beetles.

Is the trunking the same size as the Beetle or is this a special T3 part?

aedan

1971 VW fastback
1989 Volvo 240GL

Our enemies shall talk themselves to death, and we will bury them with own
confusion.

We shall prevail.