[T3] Heater Channels

Hello all,

I know this question has probably come up, but I didn't find much in the
archives to help.  I have a '69 Square that has solid looking heater
channels (from inside the car).  Unfortunately, when I got closer to them, I
noticed a signifcant amount of rust and rusty dust inside them (I am able to
pull bits of rusty metal out of the vents in the channels).  I am about
ready to pull the body off the pan, but should I try to repair the channels
on pan or off.  Also, any recommendations how to get to the inside of the
heater channels to repair them.  I want to do as little damage as possible
to the outer shell of the channels or the rockers since both are solid (for
now).  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Joe S.
Lakehurst, NJ
'69 Squareback
'73 Bus