Re: [T3] stuck heads...

On 4 Jun 99, at 16:22, Charlie wrote:

> Ok, started tearing apart an old engine.... want to use the case for the
> construction of a stock FI engine.  But upon disassembly I have hit a
> wall.  The heads are stuck.  All 8 (each side) nuts are off, but she
> won't budge.

This is the norm on all of out engines which have been together for a
long time.

> What's procedure here?  I am guessing that these babies aren't as
> resilient as Harley jugs and heads....
>
> Heat?
>
> Lightly hammer?

I have used a large screwdriver between the head and the cylinders to
pry a bit. Don't pry on the fins, they will break. I would think that
a propane torch could be used to heat the head and soften the old oil
that has filled the speces between the head and the cylinders, but I
have not tried this.

I have used a rubber mallet. You could try pounding on the side of a
broomstick whose end was stuck in an exaust port. Just be careful not
to break things.

Jim
-