Re: [T3] T3 in German magazines

At 22:06 -0700 01.06.1999, Ginger D.&Peter P. wrote:

>    When I was at the Esso station in Coburg I picked up a handfull of
>German VW mags.  There were actually some T3's in there.
>    One mag had an artilce about a stock look beige/grey late fastback
>that had a 2.3 motor in it.

The magazine in question is called VW Speed (www.vw-speed.de).  It is a
great magazine, and worth checking out even if you do not understand a word
of German.

The engine in the 1970 Fastback is from a Corvair, flat six (I m looking at
the article now).  What is interesting is that although the engine is
2376cc, it puts out only 80 hp.  Granted, there is quite a difference
between 80 4-cylinder Volkswagen hp and 80 Chevrolet hp.  I would imagine
that there is quite a weight difference as well.

The guy somehow used the original transmission too.

The May issue of VW Speed has a really sweet looking 1967 1600 A Notchback
which the owner has somehow managed to put on 7.5"X17" Porsche Cup wheels
with 215s in front and 225s in the rear.  Those are some big wheels!

The January issue has a 1964 1500 S Notch that has just about every early
model extra that you could think of (aside from towel rail bumper bars).

Another cool feature of this mag is their section on "strange VWs", which
has previously looked at the Typ 5 (4/96), early Typ 4 (3/97), the Typ 158
which is another Typ 4 prototype from 1968 (4/99) and in the January '99
issue, the Typ 142.  The EA 142 was a prototype for the Typ 4 that they
eventually gave us and was built in 1968 (original design begin in 1966).
It has a 1.3l Typ 4 engine, single port heads, single Solex carb, IRS
transmiR‚ƒacPherson strut front suspension and the Typ 3 all red
interior as per 1964.  It has a lot of other Typ 3 parts on board as well.
Strange indeed.

Anyway, check out this magazine if you have a chance.  Great features, a
busy classified section and in-depth articles about how the Germans build
VWs without stupid advertizements everywhere (even the ads are helpful).
Too bad Hot VWs has gone down the toilet as per VW Trends ...

My Û 0.02 worth (that's Euros for you).

Patrick

Patrick Joel Morton
Rauhankatu 28 as 27
FIN -- 20100  TURKU
Finland, E.U.

Home of the V-Wauhtipiste Volkswagens!

                 - "Kraft durch Freude" -

1963 Beetle (Helmut) - Deluxe Limousine
1967 Variant (Urs) - Squareback
1970 Beetle (Otto) - Sunroof Limousine

"We have everything but misery, because that
can't be bought with money."
   - Kai Lehto, October 1998