Re®\KĀtarter problem

On 1 Jun 99, at 19:13, Phillip Bradfield wrote:

> Over the big weekend I had my '69 out of the garage to clean the floor of
> the garage ( I ended up pushing it out, because of a dead battery ). After
> cleaning the garage ( and charging the battery ), I tried to start it. I
> could hear the starter turning, but the gear wasn't engaging with the
> flywheel. It was just spinning, and not turning the motor. What's the
> deal? Would this be the solenoid? If there is something simple here please
> advise.

On the Bosch starter it can't be the solenoid, so it must be the
drive, or Bendix. These can be purchased from a good Bosch dealer,
but it is not anything that they would have in stock. They are also
expensive enough that you should just swap it for a genuine Bosch
rebuilt (rebuilt by Bosch, not just a Bosch starter rebuilt by
anyone.)

Jim